Monday, April 25, 2011

people are poetry

Sometimes, I see a person (usually someone who is doing nothing in particular - standing on a street corner, drinking coffee in a sunwarmed window, walking a dog, leaning against a building at just the right angle at just the right time of day...) and I am suddenly struck by the fact that they are alive. That there before me is another human being. Complete, though unknown, full of their own memories and thoughts an ideas and philosophies... and I have to resist the urge to run up to them and demand of them their life stories, or slide in beside them at the corner booth and just sit quietly... or break out the sketchbook... In general, I'm successful.


But I'm intensely grateful to The Sartorialist for taking snapshots for me, so I can look and look and get lost in the vast, spinning universe of another person... at leisure. And without the threat of police intervention and multiple restraining orders. 


Here are a few souls to get lost in.







all images via the sartorialist


See people today. 



Shuffle and Wry,
-shawnacy




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the courage to ask people if I could photograph them! Great shots from the Sartorialist.

shawnacy said...

me too!
i had an anthropology class in college that required us to do some crazy experiments with people on the street (one was to go up to people eating in a food court and ask for a bite!!!)
but never this.
someday maybe.